Wednesday, February 29, 2012

BMI is too simple and misleading.

BMI is a common statistic used for weight studies, calculating insurance rates, etc.  It is simply a weight-height ratio.  It is based on the average person and really is a poor measurement across the board.  I have a stocky build, am big boned, and have big muscles. According to the USDA, any BMI above 25 is unhealthy and above 30 is obese.  My BMI, based on my actual height and weight is 46.7.   Yes, that's right, I'm currently fat.  I calculate my lean body mass(weight with zero fat) to be between about 180 pounds. If I was able to get my fat down to zero (better than the leanest body builder), my BMI would still be 25.1 which is still considered a tad overweight.  Keep in mind that this is is zero fat which is not realistic.  A percent body fat of 14-17% is considered to be fit and above average.  Based on this, my fit weight range would be between 205 and 211 pounds.  This would put my BMI at 29, which is the upper of what is considered unhealthy, pushing the edge of what is considered to be obese.
BMI = weight (in kilograms) divided by height squared (in meters). 
I know that I am overweight, but BMI is simply not a sufficient measurement for my body type.  It's misleading and exaggerates my obesity as I have bigger bones and bigger muscles than the average person.  In addition to those with body types like mine,  BMI is not considered reliable for children, pregnant women, body builders, and the frail elderly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment