Monday, February 27, 2012

Fasting and World Religions

I have never gone a day in my life without food nor have I have ever wanted to. If you think about it, this means that I am actually very, very lucky. Like many Americans, I am battling obesity while much of the world is starving. I have never been a fan of self denial and therefore have never attempted a fast. I admit that my personality is a bit more indulging and self-gratifying.

For the last couple of weeks, it seems that the topic of fasting keeps coming up. It all started when I watched the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". Then, throughout the following week, it seems that everywhere I turn, I hear or see something related to the topic. Maybe it's because we are in the period of Lent where many people "fast" from something, not always food. Logically, I don't think a food fast is healthy and fasting too long might disrupt one's metabolism.

Yet here I am, finding myself strangely attracted to the idea of fasting. And, I have to admit that most religious paths either has a history of fasting or currently encourage the practice. Perhaps putting your body into starvation mode affects you mind and spirit in a similar manner to a sweat lodge, entheogens, sleep deprivation, or meditation? I don't know for sure. Since I've never gone without, I have a hard time knowing the subjective effects.


 Here are some examples of fasting in the major religions of the world:

In Judaism (Christian Old Testament), Moses fasted 40 days and 40 nights, twice. Once before his trip (yes, trip is doublespeak) up the mountain where he was presented with the ten commandments and again after coming down. King David also fasted. There are other accounts in Chronicals, Joel, Jonah, Esther, and Isiah. There are several modern Jewish holidays that involve fasting including Yom Kippur, Tisha'Bav.

Many Christian denominations practice lent which is essential self-denial as a form of penitenceI have to admit that I don't really understand penitence as it seems to be somewhat masochistic. There are many other periods of fasting prescribed by various denominations. Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights during which time he communed with the devil and angels in what reads much like a psychedelic experience. He later taught that you should fast in private and not do so to make a show of being righteous. Saul (renamed Paul) fasted after being converted. In Acts, Paul and Barnabus told elders of the church in Antioch to pray and fast.

Some Mormans fast the first Sunday of each month and donate the money that would have otherwise been spent on food.

Hinduism entails many different forms of fasting at various times. Gandhi used fasting as a tool in Satyagraha (passive resistence).

In Islam, fasting during the month of Ramadan is number four in the five pillars of Islam. During this period Muslims don't eat, drink, or have sex during the daylight hours. Fasting is said to cleanse the soul and redirect the heart from worldly activities. There are also several other days on which many Mulsims fast.

Jainishm also practice fasting during many holidays. Santhara, self starvation is supposed to shed karma. Sometimes Santhara is carried out to death.

In Bahai, there is a period of almost three weeks in March were they fast during daylight hours. During this time, people focus on introspection and re-aligning their inner life.

Many shamanic traditions from various cultures around the world use fasting as a means to alter consciousness and enter a spiritual state. Fasting quickly produces an altered state of consciousness through physical stress, thereby following a pattern common in shamanic practices. By physically changing our bodies, fasting alters our spirits, opening us to journeys in other realms and to radically different forms of perception.   In both shamanic traditions and those who practice ritual magik, fasting is sometimes practiced as part of a larger project: in preparation for an important ritual such as a vision quest. Fasting becomes part of the process that removes us from the everyday world into someplace subtly different.


But, not every religion supports fasting. For example:

Sikhs are against the practice of fasting and believe that it brings no real spiritual benefit to a person.

Buddhists to my knowledge do not fast. It's contrary to the "Middle Way" and the avoidance of extremes.


In a nutshell, what are the supposed benefits to fasting?

  1. To reveal what really controls us and to give build willpower. 
  2. Health benefits: 
    1. Purification and detoxification 
    2. Weight reduction 
    3. Numerous other health benefits are claimed relating to just about every ailment. 
  3. Obtain a state of inner balance and harmony. 
  4. Obtain an awareness and empathy for those with less than one's self. 
  5. To burn off bad karma through voluntary suffering. 
  6. To alter consciousness and create a "high". 

Since most of the benefits from fasting are subjective, it's hard to know if it really works without trying it for yourself. About 80% of religions tout the benefits of fasting which is enough to make me think it might be worth exploring. I'll admit that I have always been a glutton. I've rarely gone without anything that my heart desires. Perhaps I should give this a try at least for one day. I don't know if I am going to do a juice fast, a water fast, or no fast at all. But, if I continue to find the topic haunting me then I probably will give it a try at least for a single day.

1 comment:

  1. Fasting can be pretty tough, and there are many options for people who might not want to do the "no food at all" thing. Juice fasts, raw food cleanses, smoothie cleanses, ... - when I was still a university student, I did tea/veggie stock fasts twice, the first one for four weeks and the second (one year later) for two weeks. I did not lose any weight, mostly because the body really switches into starvation mode, but it was an interesting spiritual experience.

    ReplyDelete