Thursday, February 23, 2012

What Foods Make You Feel Full?

I'm trying to analyze what makes one food more filling and satisfying than another.  I know it sounds basic, but I think truly understanding this might help me to plan a more satisfying weight loss program.  Could it be the water weight or the amount of indigestible fiber?  Or could it be the caloric density , net carbohydrate levels, or maybe it has something to do with vitamins?

Assume that you could only eat one cup of a single food.  What would be the most filling/satisfying and what would be the least?  For example, 1 cup of macaroni is much more filling than one cup of shredded lettuce.  Please post comments stating which foods you find most and least satisfying.  Once I get a list, I am going to look for patterns in their nutritional composition.

2 comments:

  1. Are you talking physical satisfaction or psychological satisfaction? Because a cup of macaroni might fill me up physically better than a cup of lettuce but psychologically, I would not be satisfied with just one cup, I'd be looking for more to the point of wanting to binge. I can't pick out any single foods that make me feel satisfied but I can pick out meals I've made that I left me satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My initial thought was to avoid hunger. But even with hunger, there is both a mental and physical aspect. What I'd like to pinpoint is exactly why a piece of apple pie might be more filling AND satisfying than a couple of stocks of celery. If you could eat only one of a steak, baked potato, or steamed broccoli, which would be most satisfying and why? What is it about comfort foods that make them so desirable and also so satisfying to eat?

    The question sounds very simple on the surface. I'd like to break it down and find out what the underlying factors are. Is the primary cause related to the digestibility, weight, the energy provided, or something else?

    I have the USDA nutrition database on my PC in MS Access and am hoping to find some patterns once I come up with a list of what most people agree to as filling and satisfying foods.

    ReplyDelete