Wednesday, March 14, 2012

M&E Thoughts, Day 14


Morning and evening thoughts, 1908. By James Allen.


Fourteenth Morning
In speaking of self-control, one is easily misunderstood. It should not be associated with a destructive repression, but with a constructive expression.
A man is happy, wise and great in the measure that he controls himself; he is wretched, foolish, and mean in the measure that he allows his animal nature to dominate his thoughts and actions.
He who controls himself, controls his life, his circumstances, his destiny; and wherever he goes he carries his happiness with him as an abiding possession.
Renunciation precedes regeneration.
The permanent happiness which men seek in dissipation, excitement, and abandonment to unworthy pleasures, is found only in the life which reverses all this-the life of self-control.

Fourteenth Evening
Law, not confusion, is the dominating principle in the universe; justice, not injustice is the soul and substance of life; and righteousness, not corruption, is the molding and moving force in the spiritual government of the world. This being so, man has but the right himself to find that the universe is right.
When I am pure,
I shall have solved the mystery of life;
I shall be sure,
When I am free from hatred, lust and strife,
I am in Truth, and Truth abides in me;
I shall be safe, and sane, and wholly free,
When I am pure.



In 1908, James Allen published "Morning and Evening Thoughts" which consists of short inspirational writings to be read over a period of 31 days.  Due to the age, this text is considered public domain and can be copied and shared freely.  For each day in March, I will post his morning and evening thoughts along with my own commentary.  The intention is to mold my mind and spirit, focusing on positive thinking.  Please feel free to follow along with me now or later and post your own comments attached to each post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment