Sunday, March 11, 2012

M&E Thoughts, Day 11


Morning and evening thoughts, 1908. By James Allen.


Eleventh Morning
Be as a flower; content to be, to grow in sweetness day by day. If thou would’st perfect thyself in knowledge, perfect thyself in Love. If thou would’st reach the Highest, ceaselessly cultivate a loving and compassionate heart.
To him who chooses Goodness, sacrificing all, is given that which is more than, and includes, all.

Eleventh Evening
The Great Law never cheats any man of his just due.
Human life, when rightly lived, is simple with a beautiful simplicity.
He who comprehends the utter simplicity of life, who obeys its laws, and does not step aside into the dark paths and complex mazes of selfish desire, stands where no harm can reach him.
Then there is fullness of joy, abounding plenty, and rich and complete blessedness.
Discussion:

  1. "The Great Law" sounds a bit like karma.  You reap what you sew.  If you cultivate good thoughts then good things manifest.  Does this really need to be seen in terms of a sacrifice?  
  2. What about those of us who like the complex mazes of selfish desire?  There is something about drama that is soothing to the human condition.  If everything was always rosy, would existence seem a bit drab?  



In 1908, James Allen published "Morning and Evening Thoughts" which consists of short inspirational writings to be read over a period of 31 days.  Due to the age, this text is considered public domain and can be copied and shared freely.  For each day in March, I will post his morning and evening thoughts along with my own commentary.  The intention is to mold my mind and spirit, focusing on positive thinking.  Please feel free to follow along with me now or later and post your own comments attached to each post.  

2 comments:

  1. I certainly agree that "The Grerat Law" does sound a lot like Karma. And I do not believe that the message does not need to be seen in terms of sacrafice. And in regards to discussion point #2: I truly believe that there IS something about drama that is...perhaps not "soothing"...but at least appeasing...if that makes sense. Great blog sir! I've been perusing many blogs on here of late and just came across yours this evening. I would like to follow this blog if I may. Feel free to follow mine as well, as mine asks similar philosophical questions. Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant "Great Law" not "Grerat Law": I need to proofread my comments better :)

      Delete