Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Diet Apps for Smartphones and Blackberries

Do any of you use an app on your cell phone to look up and track calories?  I downloaded the blackberry app"Calorie Counter" by FatSecret.com.  It is real easy to look up foods and even has many restaurant menus with calorie counts.  But, the journal stinks because you can't easily add meals add-hoc.  For example, if you made a meal yourself you'd have to enter each ingredient and portion size rather than the total count for the meal.  There must be something better out there.  Rather than downloading hundreds of apps and trying them all out, I was hoping that perhaps some readers might be able to direct me to something better.  Please note that I have a blackberry so many iphone apps are not available to me.  PLEASE post comments... I'd like some help here.

Comments Added April 12, 2013:  
My wife found the app MyFitnessPal on her iPhone and thought it looked pretty good.  I added it to my blackberry.  It is awesome!  I no longer need to carry around a paper journal and calorie counter book!  With the app you can look up foods and even many restaurant menu items.  These can be easily added to a food journal which does all of your math for you.  And, if you want you can do a "quick add" to just add calories to your log.  Her iPhone app has one nice feature that the blackberry version doesn't.  With her iPhone, she can take a picture of a UPC code on a package and it will automatically look up the nutrition facts and/or add to her journal.  It's a fantastic FREE app!  It also has a means to track calories burned from exercise, however, I haven't explored this yet. And, you can record your weight, waist, hip, and neck measurements over time.  This is going to be my primary means of tracking calories and progress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment